So while life is totally freakin’ nuts right now, and about to get EVEN MOAR NUTS when Mia goes home, there are some totally random things I’m feelin’ at the moment.
- Hemlock Grove Season 2: Yes I am totally addicted to this Netflix series, weird and supernatural though it may be. Vince and I discovered the first season last year and binged on the 20+ episodes for an entire weekend. We just got totally and completely hooked. Then I waited forever for the second “season” to come out and it’s only 10 freakin’ episodes!! I blew through them in 24 hours!
I am both elated and sad. Is anyone else watching this show? I love Shelly’s character and story arch. I would give anything for this to be a series of books for me to devour. Ugh!
- Broken Open – How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow: A book recommended to me by my therapist, it reminds me a LOT of my “Jew Book” Yearnings – Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life. I can see why she thought it would be a good read for dealing with loss, but I’ve found this is an even better read for anyone questioning their life’s purpose or direction. I might even do a whole post about it to compile my favorite quotes.
- My yard and mini rose bush: I never thought I would turn into one of those people that enjoyed yardwork, but damnit… I REALLY like having a nice yard. I love pulling into my home with a nice outside presentation. It just sets the mood for going into my home. So after years of neglect, Vince and I dropped many hundreds of dollars to reclaim our yard from weeds. This included turning a little front section into a mulched seating area with some select yardart! I even have a gazing ball!
Also important is my mini yellow rose bush. It was a gift from Christie when I lost my Daddy. I put it in its forever home about a month ago and it’s responded so well. The first new bloom opened on Daddy’s birthday, and there have been three more since. I just love it.
- Make me a Bird, by Elektrik People: I heard this song on the last episode of Season 1 of Hemlock Grove (I had to refresh that ending before starting season 2) and holy hell I LOVE IT. It’s so Tears for Fears-ish, synth-poppy. I can’t stop playing it. It’s weird but hell I love it.
- Hooping: C’mon of COURSE hooping would be in there. How could it NOT? One day people will ask me how I made it through this year, and I’ll tell them “I spent most of it either drugged or dizzy. Sometimes both.” Hooping has almost literally saved my life. I know that sounds a little extreme right now, but the pure joy it brings me is unreal. I laugh SO much when I’m hooping. I get totally lost in music. I spend entire drives to and from Merritt Island listening to music and imagining how I can hoop to it. I’ve even got hoops at work, and of course my Astral is on its way!
I know it sounds silly, and sometimes I think it’d be easier to explain Domestic Violence than to tell people my bruises came from learning hula hoop tricks at age 32. But I love it and I can’t wait to get better and better.